10. There is no alternate route.
9. You’re feeling too lazy to ride an extra 40 km to Stuarts Point and Scotts Head.
8. You want the mind-numbing noise from traffic to drown out your thoughts.
7. You’re bored with beautiful scenery.
6. You’re tired of taking pictures and the danger of passing traffic gives you an excuse not to.
5. The sounds of song birds is getting on your nerves.
4. You love the feel of sticky tar and gravel on your tires.
3. You enjoy bracing yourself against the draft of a passing truck.
2. You prefer trash-filled rest areas to remote picnic spots.
But the number one reason for riding on the highway……(drum roll please)…..
You find all kinds of great junk lying on the side of the road that your “mechanic” husband can put to good use.
Today’s finds: a piece of rubber hose and a “BadBoy” flip-flop that he’ll use on his bike racks to protect them from abrasive wear from his panniers!!
And, in spite of all my joking about today’s ride, the end was beautiful: cabin overlooking the river, beautiful sunset, gas heat and a real oven to cook dinner.